Tuesday 28 January 2014

Heavenly Pastries at Duchess Bake Shop

I have a confession to make. I love macarons. I love them so much I had them for breakfast on Saturday. Nothing else, just coffee and macarons. The night before I ate like 5 of them. Four days earlier I did the same. Maybe it's a problem. But they're mostly egg whites and that's protein, right?

At least that's what I tell myself.




When I was in Paris, I ate as many macarons as I could get my hands on. I have not tried making them (yet). I am signed up for a macaron making class with one of the girls I work with so stay tuned! There are more macarons in the future of this blog.


So, the best macarons in Edmonton? Duchess Bake Shop, hands down.


The best pastries in the city? Oh yeah, that goes to Duchess, too. The decor is so cute, the selection of pastries will have you buying 10x more than you ever think you could eat, the coffee is delicious. If you're like me you'll eat all of those pastries. Heck, I've even tried their open-faced sandwiches and they're great. I can honestly say I have never once had anything from Duchess that didn't live up to my expectations. 


Check out the beautiful Tarte Montreal. It's as delicious as it looks.


Tarte Montreal: 
Milk chocolate maple bourbon ganache, spiced
 caramel cream, apricot compote and candied almonds.

Next door is the Provisions by Duchess store, where you can buy bakeware, kits, tools, and they have a fantastic selection of ingredients. If you want speciality baking ingredients, this is the place to go in Edmonton. They have everything from candied rose petals to egg abumen, which is apparently a must have for stabilizing egg whites in macarons. 


Dark chocolate meringues

Speaking of meringue, buy a couple of the dark chocolate meringues. They are to die for! So light and sugary and fluffy with little bits of chocolate studded throughout. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I never leave without at least 3 of these. Same logic applies as the macarons as far as I'm concerned. 



I always get at least a couple dark chocolate macarons and a couple salted caramel. Their classic flavours don't really change but they always have different monthly features. This month was Mexican hot chocolate and buttered popcorn. Both flavours - Yum! Coincidentally, one of my friends brought some over for our girls night so we were eating buttered popcorn and buttered popcorn macarons. Perfect combo!

So, next time you want desserts, get yourself to Duchess. Your sweet tooth will thank you! 


ps - you should probably also get The Duke. Just sayin'



-- 


Duchess Bake Shop

10718 124 St NW, Edmonton
780.488.4999
http://www.duchessbakeshop.com




Duchess Bake Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment